You can find a number of books, and lists of books, on applied sport psychology at other websites, so they are not duplicated here. There are fewer lists of resources, however, on (a) the application of sport psychology to general well-being (b) readings in Performance Psychology, and (c) the mental benefits of exercise. Some of our favorites are indicated below.
Suggested Readings by Other Authors on General Well-Being through Sport Psychology
- Ericsson, K. Anders (2016). Peak: How to master almost anything. New York: Viking.
- Gallwey, W. T. (2000). The inner game of work: Focus, learning, pleasure, and mobility in the workplace. New York:Random House.
- Hirschhorn, D. (2010). 8 Ways to great: Peak performance on the job and in your life. New York: Putnam.
- Jensen, Peter. (1994). The inside edge. Toronto:Macmillan of Canada.
- Jensen, Peter (2011). Ignite the third factor: Lessons from a lifetime of working with Olympic athletes, coaches, and business leaders. Toronto, ON, Canada: Dundern.
- Jensen, Peter (2015). Thriving in a 24/7 world: An energizing tale about growing through pressure. Bloomington, IN: Iuniverse.
- Murphy, Shane (1997). The achievement zone: An 8-step guide to peak performance in all arenas of life. New York:Berkley.
- Orlick, Terry. (2015). In pursuit of excellence (5th ed.). Champaign, IL:Human Kinetics.
- Orlick, Terry. (1998). Embracing your potential: Steps to self-discovery, balance, and success in sports, work, and life. Champaign, IL:Human Kinetics.
- Weinberg, R. (2010). Mental toughness for sport, business, and life. Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse.
Other Suggested Readings by Other Authors on Performance Psychology
Chaffin, Roger, Imreh, Gabriela, & Crawford, Mary. (2002). Practicing perfection: Memory and piano performance. Mahwah , NJ:Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Dunkel, S. E. (1990). The audition process: Anxiety management and coping strategies. Stuyvesant, NY:Pendragon Press.
Emmons, Shirlee, & Thomas, Alma (1998). Power performance for singers: Transcending the barriers. New York:Oxford University Press.
Esposito, Janet E. (2000). In the SpotLight: Overcome your fear of public speaking and performing. Bridgewater, CT:In the Spot Light.
Goodman, Gordon. (2013). Stage fright: Who needs it? Getting rid of stage fright for good. NuWerks Publishing.
- Green, Barry (2003). The mastery of music: Ten pathways to true artistry. New York:Broadway Books.
- Green, Barry, & Gallwey, W. Timothy. (1986). The inner game of music. Garden City, NY:Anchor.
- Greene, Don. Audition success. (2001). New York:Routledge.
- Greene, Don. (2002). Performance success: Performing your best under pressure. New York:Routledge.
Hamilton, L. H. and NYC Ballet (2008). The dancer's way. New York: St. Martin's Griffin.
- Hamilton, Linda. (1998). Advice for dancers: Emotional counsel and practical strategies. San Francisco:Jossey-Bass.
- Kushel, Gerald. (1994). Reaching the peak performance zone: How to motivate yourself and others to excel. New York:Amacom.
- Lehmann, A. C., Sloboda, J. A., & Woody, R. H. (2007). Psychology for musicians: Understanding and acquiring the skills. New York: Oxford.
- Maisel, E. (2007). Creativity for life. Novato, CA:New World Library.
- Moore, B. (2010). Playing your best when it counts: Mental skills for musicians. http://playingyourbest.com.
- Provost, R. (1994). The art & technique of performance. San Francisco:Guitar Solo Publications.
- Provost, R. (1992). The art & technique of practice. San Francisco:Guitar Solo Publications.
Ridout, N. (2006). Stage fright, animals, and other theatrical problems. Cambridge, U.K.:Cambridge University Press.
- Ristad, E. (1982). A soprano on her head: Right-side-up reflections on life and other performances. Moab, UT:Real People Press.
- Robin, Mitchell, & Balter, Rochelle. (1995). Performance anxiety: Overcoming your fear in the workplace, social situations, interpersonal communications, the performing arts. Holbrook, MA:Adams.
- Salmon, Paul, & Meyer, Richard. (1992). Notes from the green Room: Coping with stress and anxiety in musical performance. San Francisco:Jossey-Bass.
- Solovitch, Sara (2015). Playing scared: A history and memoir of stage fright. New York: Bloomsbury USA.
- Williamon, Aaron. (2004). Musical excellence: Strategies and techniques to enhance performance. Oxford , UK:Oxford University Press.
Suggested Readings by Other Authors on the Mental Benefits of Exercise or Physical Activity
- Andersen, Mark B. & Hanrahan, Stephanie J. (2015) (Ed.s) Doing exercise psychology. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Baxter, J. (2011). Manage your depression through exercise: The motivation you need to start and maintain an exercise program. North Branch, MN: Sunrise River Press.
- Begel, D., & Burton , R. W. (Eds.) (2000). Sport psychiatry: Theory and practice. New York:Norton.
- Berger, Bonnie G., Weinberg, Robert S., & Eklund, Robert C. (2015). Foundations of exercise psychology (3rd ed.). Morgantown , WV: Fitness Information Technology.
- International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Volume 3 Number 4
- Johnsgard, K. (2004). Conquering depression & anxiety through exercise. Amherst , NY:Prometheus.
- Kimiecik, J. (2002). The intrinsic exerciser: Discovering the joy of exercise. New York:Houghton Mifflin.
- Leith , L. M. (1998). Exercising your way to better mental health. Morgantown , WV:Fitness Information Technology.
- Leith , L. M. (1994). Foundations of exercise and mental health. Morgantown , WV:Fitness Information Technology.
- Marcus, B. H., & Forsyth, L. H. (2003). Motivating people to be physically active. Champaign , IL:Human Kinetics.
- Morgan, W. P. (Ed.) (1997). Physical activity and mental health. Washington , DC:Taylor & Francis.
- Otto, M., & Smits, J. A. J. (2011). Exercise for mood and anxiety: Proven strategies for overcoming depression and enhancing well-being. New York: Oxford.
- Ratey, J. J. (2008). Spark. New York:Little Brown.
- Sachs, M. L., & Buffone, G. W. (Eds.) (1984). Running as therapy: An integrated approach. Lincoln, NE:University of Nebraska .
- Sacks, M. H., & Sachs, M. L. (Eds.) (1981). Psychology of running. Champaign , IL:Human Kinetics.
- Thayer, R. E. (2001). Calm energy: How people regulate mood with food and exercise. New York:Oxford University Press.
- Thompson, R. A., & Sherman, R. T. (1993). Helping athletes with eating disorders. Champaign , IL:Human Kinetics.